CFPM-101 Canadian Forage Pearl Millet 101
- Highly drought tolerant crop
- Performs well on soils low in fertility and low pH
- Grazing, green chop, silage for dairy, beef, sheep and horses
- Rapid regeneration capacity
- No prussic acid
- Helps build soil organic matter when used as a cover crop
- Significant levels of nutrients are added to soil improving fertility and soil structure
- Improves soil productivity
- Provides erosion control
- Captures snow
- Suppresses weeds
- Does not over-winter
- PLANT HEIGHT
- 150 to 225 cm
- No. of leaves
- 6 to 10 per main tiller
- FIFTH Leaf size
- Width 3 to 4 cm, length 80 to 90 cm
- No of tillers
- 8 to 15
- Ear head is conical
- The plant flowers 85 - 95 days after planting. Days to flowering is influenced by day length and CFPM 101 would flower in short days.
- 1000 seed weight ranges from 9 to l1 gm. Plant morphological parameters and date of 50% flowering will vary according to crop management, soil fertility, soil moisture, heat units, location, day length etc. It is a multi cut crop with 2 to 3 cuts during the cropping season.
Canadian Forage Pearl Millet 101 is a high yielding, high protein annual crop of tropical origin. It is drought resistant and allows multi-cuts. The plant grows with a mass of very fine fibrous roots and huge top growth with several tillers. Pearl millet prefers light sandy to loamy soils and if allowed to grow without cutting it can reach heights of over 12 feet. It can be used as a cover crop for soil improvement. The plant is frost sensitive, thus produces no volunteer plants in the following season. There are no toxic components in forage pearl millet (prussic acid or oxalic acid). About 1.5 million acres of pearl millet forage are grown in the US annually. Until recently, there were no varieties of pearl millet suitable for growing in Ontario and Quebec. AERC Inc. has developed a temperate cultivar of forage pearl millet that can be grown in Canada. Forage pearl millet has an excellent feeding quality and farmers have reported that livestock preferred pearl millet to alfalfa-grass silage or pasture.
AERC has selected Canadian Forage Pearl Millet 101 from the breeding program for its ability to produce high yields over a relatively short growing season. It has been tested widely across Canada for several years.
DOWNLOAD OUR BROCHUREDOWNLOAD PDFDOWNLOAD WORD
Interested in a large volume order?
Contact sales directly for wholesale pricing on orders of 50 bags or more.
Order online to your location, available within the US and Canada. Shipping fees will be added at checkout. Limit of 50 bags/order.